A former Apple engineer has been charged with stealing the company’s self-driving car technology and fleeing to China. The former employee, Weibao Wang, was a software engineer at Apple from 2016 to 2017. He worked on the company’s self-driving car project.
What did Wang allegedly do?
Wang is accused of stealing thousands of files containing proprietary information about Apple’s self-driving car technology. He is also accused of trying to recruit other Apple employees to join him in China.
How did Wang get caught?
Apple became suspicious of Wang after he resigned from the company in 2017. The company conducted an investigation and found that Wang had accessed large amounts of proprietary data in the days before his departure.
What are the charges against Wang?
Wang has been charged with six counts of theft or attempted theft of trade secrets. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison for each count.
What is the impact of this case?
This case is a reminder of the importance of protecting trade secrets. It is also a reminder of the lengths that some people will go to in order to steal technology.
What can companies do to protect themselves from trade secret theft?
Companies can take a number of steps to protect themselves from trade secret theft, including:
- Conducting background checks on employees
- Implementing security measures to protect sensitive data
- Educating employees about the importance of protecting trade secrets
- Having a plan in place to respond to trade secret theft
The case of Weibao Wang is a serious reminder of the importance of protecting trade secrets. Companies can take a number of steps to protect themselves from trade secret theft, but it is important to remember that no security measure is foolproof.
Here are some additional details about the case:
- Wang is currently in China and is believed to be living under the protection of the Chinese government.
- The US government has requested Wang’s extradition, but China has so far refused to comply.
- The case is still ongoing and it is unclear what the outcome will be.
The case of Weibao Wang is a reminder of the growing threat of economic espionage. As technology becomes more sophisticated, so does the risk of companies stealing their trade secrets. Companies need to be aware of this threat and take steps to protect themselves.